Name and surname : Karla Hernández Fonseca.
- Master in Biological Sciences (Experimental Branch), Master's Program in Biological Sciences, Faculty of Sciences, National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).
- Doctor in Biomedical Sciences, Doctoral Program in Biomedical Sciences, Institute of Cellular Physiology, National Autonomous University of Mexico, (UNAM).
- Researcher in Medical Sciences "C", INPRFM.
- Subject Professor, Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, UNAM.
- Subject Professor, Department of Psychology, Universidad Iberoamericana CDMX.
. Institution / Affiliation: Department of Neurochemistry, Subdirectorate of Clinical Research, National Institute of Psychiatry "Ramón de la Fuente Muñiz" (INPRFM).
Country-City : Mexico City, Mexico.
- Student member of the “Society for Neuroscience”, since May 2003.
- Regular member of the “Society for Neuroscience”, since January 2010.
- Regular member of the Mexican Society of Biochemistry, since August 2015.
- Regular member of the “Latin American Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism” (LASBRA), since April 2010.
- Founding Member of the Ibero-American Network for Clinical and Pre-clinical Research on Addictions and Problematic Substance Use (RIPCA)
Research lines / topics:
The Neurochemistry Laboratory's primary objective is to study the mechanisms of reinforcement and dependence on alcohol in animal models. In recent years we have developed various lines of research that study different effects of alcohol on the Nervous System of the rat, among which are: the behavioral effects of alcohol; the neurotoxic and neurodegenerative effects of alcohol on the brain; the impact of prenatal alcohol exposure on drug use and neurotransmission of opioid peptides in offspring in infants, adolescents, and adults, as well as the role of endogenous opioid peptide systems in reinforcement and sugar dependence .
- Abate P., Hernández-Fonseca K , Reyes-Guzmán C., Barbosa-Luna IG and Méndez M. Prenatal ethanol exposure alters met-enkephalin expression in brain regions related with reinforcement: possible mechanism for ethanol consumption in offspring. Behavioral Brain Research 2014,19; 274: 194-204.
- Abate P., Reyes-Guzman C., Hernandez-Fonseca K . and Méndez M. Prenatal ethanol exposure modifies locomotor activity and induces selective changes in Met-enk expression in adolescent rats. Neuropeptides. 2017, 62: 45-56.
- Guttlein L., Macchione AF, Hernández-Fonseca K. , Molina JC, Haymal OH, Méndez Ubach M. Maternal manipulation during late gestation (GDs 17-20) enhances ethanol consumption and promotes changes and opioid mRNA expression in infant rats. Behavioral Brain Research. 2019, 368,111908.
- M Méndez, K Hernández-Fonseca , P Abate. The enkephalinergic system and ethanol effects. In: G. Litwack (ed). The Neuroscience of Alcohol: Mechanisms and Treatment. Vitamins and hormones 111, Academic Press / Elsevier 2019: 313-337.
- M Méndez, K Hernández-Fonseca , P Abate. The Enkephalinergic System and Ethanol Effects . In: VR Preedy. Neuroscience of Alcohol, Academic Press / Elsevier, 2019: 443-451.
Other academic / professional background:
- Medal "Antonio Caso". Awarded by the National Autonomous University of Mexico to the best graduate student in 2008 for a PhD in Biomedical Sciences.
- Member of the National System of Researchers Level I, since 2009.
- Postdoctoral stay with Dr. Ignacio Camacho-Arroyo, Department of Biology, Faculty of Chemistry, UNAM. "Study of the protective role of estradiol in neuronal death due to glucose deprivation in hippocampal neurons: role of reticular stress", August 2008-November 2010.
- Professor of "AA" Subject, Biological Bases of Behavior, Sensoperception, Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology taught in the degree of Psychology at the Universidad Iberoamericana, since 2003.
- Professor of Subject “A”, Cell Biology II (Biochemistry) and Cell Biology III (Cell Biology) at the Faculty of Sciences, UNAM, since 2004.
- Professor of the Workshop "Drugs of Abuse and Affective Disorders" at the Faculty of Sciences, UNAM, since 2014.